Indian Butter Chicken
6 -7 chicken breast fillets (I also use some skinless thighs for DH)
3 tablespoons tandoori spice
1 1/2 cups plain yogurt
1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon ghee
1 tablespoon cumin seed, ground
1 tablespoon freshly crushed garlic
6 tablespoons pureed onions (about 3 onions)
1 tablespoon medium heat curry powder
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 teaspoons tomato sauce mixed with 1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tablespoon tomatoes or 1 tablespoon mango chutney
1 tablespoon ground almonds
2 teaspoons garam masala
1 tablespoon coriander leaves (cilantro leaves)
1 cup heavy cream
1 1/2 cups coconut milk
1. Mix one half Tabdoori spice blend with yogurt and marinate chicken overnight.
2. Next day, grill the chicken while preparing the sauce as follows.
3. In a pan, melt butter, add ground cumin and stir fry 30 seconds.
4. Add garlic and onion, stir fry for 2-3 minutes.
5. Mix together remainder Tandoori spice blend with curry powder, tomato paste, tomato sauce, chutney, ground almonds and garam masala, then add to sauce.
6. Simmer a few minutes, then add cooked chicken (you may cut up chicken into smaller pieces, if desired), along with any remaining marinade and pan drippings.
7. Add coriander leaves, cream, coconut milk, and add salt to taste.
8. Simmer gently and allow to reduce a little.