Garam Masala Curried Chicken With Pineapple and Peas
Serves 3 - 4
3 lbs skinless chicken, jointed
2 ounces ghee (clarified butter)
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 bay leaves, crumpled up
1 tablespoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon clove
1 teaspoon cardamoms, split open at one end
1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
1 tablespoon garam masala
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
4 garlic cloves, chopped
2 onions, chopped
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1/2 cup coconut milk
1/2 cup water
1 chicken stock cube
2 slices pineapple, cut into 8 pieces (tinned )
1/4 cup frozen peas
1. Heat the Ghee in a pot and fry all of the spices with the garlic.
2. Add the chicken and brown it all over, then add the onion. Cook over low heat for 20 minutes.
3. Stir in the remaining ingredients and simmer till the chicken is tender.
4. At this point I often add a couple of hard boiled eggs cut in half.
5. Serve with a good rice dish and mango chutney.