My grandfather, Roland Helbert, was a simple, amazing cook. I remember Sunday pancakes, watching birds and squirrels, garden fresh tomatoes, and his best ever chili recipe.
1.5 lbs of ground beef or turkey (I like to use a little of both)
I can of Cambell's Tomato Soup
1 cup of water
1 can of diced tomatoes
1 can of dark kidney beans
1 can of light kidney beans
1 large onion
1. Chop onion and brown ground beef or turkey over medium heat. Drain fat.
2. Rinse beans in a colander until the white bubbles are gone. Add beans and Chili Pepper (2 Tbsp for a milder chili, 3 for a hotter one) to beef/turkey mixture. Stir to coat.
3. Add can of Campbells soup, water and diced tomatoes. Mix well.
4. Simmer over low heat for 20-30 minutes.
Serve with toppings of choice: sharp cheddar cheese, sour cream, or baked tortilla chips.
So good the next day over greens for lunch!
- Original recipe from Roland Helbert, adapted by kaina @ SpicesForLess
Thank you Grandaddy! My first memories in the kitchen were with you, and you inspire me always!