Serves 6 - 8
3 lbs boneless boston butt, trimmed and cut into 1 . 5-inch cubes (or other shoulder pork roast)
salt and black pepper
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 medium onions, chopped coarsely
8 garlic cloves, minced
3 tablespoons flour
1 tablespoon paprika
3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon sugar
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon brown mustard seeds
3 tablespoons cilantro leaves, minced
1. Preheat oven to 300°F
2. Combine flour, paprika, cumin, cardamom, cayenne, and cloves in a small bowl.
3. Season the meat with salt & pepper generously.
4. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large dutch oven over medium high, until simmering.
5. Add half of the meat and brown on the side touching the pan, about 2 minutes.
6. Turn each piece and continue cooking until most sides are well-browned, about 5 more minutes.
7. Transfer the browned meat to a bowl.
8. Add 1 tbsp oil to the pan and swirl to coat.
9. Repeat process with 2nd half of meat.
10. Transfer to the bowl when complete.
11. Add 1 tbsp oil to the pan, swirl to coat.
12. Add the onions and 1/4 tsp salt.
13. Cook over medium heat, scraping the bottom with a wood spoon until the onions are soft, about 5 minutes.
14. Stir in the garlic and cook about 1 minute until fragrant.
15. Add the flour mixture and stir to coat.
16. Continue to cook for about 2 more minutes, scraping the bottom of the pan.
17. Gradually add the broth, scraping the bottom and sides of the pan to incorporate all browned on bits.
18. Add the tomatoes, bay leaves, sugar, vinegar, and mustard seeds.
19. Bring to a simmer.
20. Add the pork and all accumulated juices. Return to a simmer.
21. Ensure all pork is submerged in the liquid, cover and bake in preheated oven for 2 hours.
22. Remove pan from oven and skim any fat that rises to the surface (or can be refrigerated for up to 3 days, spoon off any congealed fat and bring to simmer over medium low heat).
23. Remove the bay leaves, stir in the cilantro, and serve
Serves 6 - 8