1 pound ground pork
1 pound ground beef
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
3/4 cup water
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1-1/2 teaspoons chicken seasoning
1 (15 ounce) package pastry for double-crust pie
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
2. In a large pot, mix the pork, beef, onion, and water; Season with salt, pepper, allspice, cloves, cinnamon and chicken seasoning. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer 30 minutes.
3. Drain liquid from pot into a bowl. Transfer remaining meat mixture to a separate bowl and chill until ready to use. Place bowl with liquid in the refrigerator and chill 1 hour, or until fat has congealed on the surface.
4. Scrape and discard fat from the chilled liquid. Spoon the meat mixture into pie crusts. Add 1 tablespoon of reserved liquid to each pie. (This prevents them from becoming too dry.) Place top crust on top of each pie and pinch edges to seal. Cut slits in top crust so steam can escape.
5. Bake in preheated oven until golden brown, about 50 minutes. Serve immediately or freeze until ready to use.
Traditional French Canadian Tourtiere