1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1/4 tsp Nutmeg
3/4 cup whole milk
2 large eggs
2 Tbsp butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 small or 1 large apple; peeled, grated, and squeezed dry
4 tbsp butter, melted for dipping baked donuts
1/2 cup sugar
1 Tbsp Cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and set rack on middle or lower middle position. Grease mini muffin pan. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together both flours, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg.
3. In another bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, 2 Tbsp melted butter, vanilla extract, and grated apple (squeeze out as much juice as you can, before using the rated apples.)
4. Fold wet ingredients with dry ingredients, continuing to fold until combined.
5. Level about 1 Tbsp sized scoops of batter into greased mini muffin pan.
6. Bake 7-8 minutes or until lightly golden. Cool in pan a few minutes or until they are able to be easily removed.
7. Whisk together 1/2 cup sugar with 1 Tbsp cinnamon in a bowl.
8. When ready to serve, dip donut holes in melted butter and roll in cinnamon sugar. Serve immediately.
9. Note: Do not dip in butter/roll on cinnamon sugar until just before serving. Otherwise, the coating tends to get soggy.
10. Note: Batter is not very sweet, since cinnamon sugar coating is quite sweet. If you want a sweeter batter, just add more sugar into dry ingredients.
Chef Geoff's Note: Recipe from and special thanks to Chew Out Loud